Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!
Aaron, Hope, Will, Robbi, and Jacob

On the way Up Clingman's Dome

On the way Up Clingman's Dome
We Made it ! Can't see anything through the cloud, but we made it.

The Kids in Costume

The Kids in Costume

Monday, March 19, 2007

Embassy Excitement

[Jacob’s Comments]

Today dad woke us up around 9:00, and went down to eat breakfast. Once we ate, we went to the room and waited there in case Chris was to call. Sure enough, at 10:15 am he called. He needed my Dad to go to the embassy for more paperwork. He left me to do my math. 5 minutes later, Dad came in AGAIN and left me with Will. He said my math could wait until he got back. I think I would rather do my math than listen to Will’s crying. Will is SCREAMING at the top of his lungs. (And Dad thinks Will would be calm if I held him long enough. I did, but It just made it worst) so, while Will is screaming, I am typing this.

[Mom's comments]

Hang in there Jacob. You are almost home! I'm proud of you. It's never easy taking care of a fussy baby, but you really gave Dad the needed time to get the paperwork right. That was really important to get done. 2 days to go and we are ready to see you! Then you will have two fussy babies chasing you down!

[Dad’s comments]

Will was fine when I got back. I was gone for about 1 ½ hours (the embassy used to be only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, but now it’s about 45 minutes away by taxi.) I had filled out the NEW I-854EZ form instead of the EXPIRED I-854 form. The new I-854EZ form had three questions that if all were answered yes (which I did), allowed you to use it instead of the traditional I-854 form (per form’s instructions) – it also didn’t matter that there wasn’t an updated I-854 form available.

It turns out that the Department of Homeland Security had released the new form earlier, but our U.S. embassy in China won’t begin using the newer form until next month (less than 6 months before it too expires!)

This wouldn’t be all that bad if the 2 forms weren’t virtually identical AND that I hadn’t already given them the exact same information requested on the form repeatedly on other similar immigration forms!

Aren’t bureaucracies wonderful?

This afternoon I think we’re going to take another walk off Shamian Island to do some last minute shopping before we start packing up (doesn’t that sound great?) Tomorrow we have our swearing in ceremony at the embassy (assuming no other “problems” are found in our paperwork,) and then Wednesday we’re homeward bound!

No comments: