Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!
Aaron, Hope, Will, Robbi, and Jacob

On the way Up Clingman's Dome

On the way Up Clingman's Dome
We Made it ! Can't see anything through the cloud, but we made it.

The Kids in Costume

The Kids in Costume

Sunday, January 13, 2008

LEGO Robotics Competition

This year, I had a very busy year being the single coach of two Robotics team. The tournament was Friday and Saturday. I am so incredibly proud of my kids. They spent all last semester learning how to program a NXT robot to perform a series of 15 tasks. They also had to learn about alternative fuels, and perform an energy audit on a building. The kids worked so hard. Friday night, they had three sessions with judges to discuss their project, their robot design and demonstate their teamwork. All the kids partcipated and they got great feedback from the judges.

On Saturday, they participated in the robotics competition. The kids had to run their robot three times. The kids did so incredibly well. My Green Team with the help of Terry Duke came in 3rd place for the project. They created a skit based on their audit. Terry worked with the kids the week before the competition and gave them some acting tips. They must have listened to her, because they did really well. Anyone who knows me, knows they didn't get any acting tips from me! What a day! Even without the trophy, we had a great weekend.

The most important thing was the kids really seemed to have learned a lot and had a lot of fun. Since most of the time, it was just me and 16 kids( 14 boys and 2 girls)I can guarantee that they did the work!

I can't say how proud I am. The competition is for kids from 9 to 14 years old. My kids ranged from 5th grade to 8th grade. What a weekend!

No comments: